In the world today, we find ourselves in a state of reflection, reflection on why we are blessed to be living in a country that champions so many social topics and agendas. Canada, our home and native land. What do these words mean? To me, living in Canada is an amazing opportunity where we can be who we want to be, pursue the dreams we dream of pursuing, and help contribute to the protection of rights and programs that make Canada great. Although some of the world’s perception see us as, igloo living, polar bear riding, maple syrup drinking apologetic people, there is a lot more depth to Canada and its residents that continues to make it an amazing country to live in. Examples of things that make Canada a great country to live in include but are not limited to:
- Free Education: All Canadians are entitled to a free education from kindergarten to grade 12 in either English, French or both. Allowing children an education no matter of their economic status, means that every year as graduations pass we are given new scientists, healthcare providers, business operators, politicians and many more professions that has so much to offer the world thanks to their education.
- Free Healthcare: Add another point to team Canada because when it comes to healthcare, we are the ones to beat. Free healthcare basically sums it all up. What does having a health issue, broken bones, getting sick, needing surgery or having a baby all have in common? Well in Canada it’s the fact that you and your family don’t have to worry about medical bills long after.
- Same Sex Marriage: This isn’t something that is new to us. Same sex marriage has been legalized in Canada since 2005.
- Welcome You With Open Arms: It doesn’t matter your race or religion if you think you’re up to the challenge of our harsh winters, Canada will welcome you in and be happy to have you call our home your home.
- Hey Ladies…. Ryan Gosling is 100% Canadian. Enough said.
- Speaking of Ladies: Canada is a great place for women. Not only are we able to attend school but we are also entitled to many things that other women around the world could only dream of. Things like working, pursuing a job of your dreams without limits, participating in all sports, voting and just basic human rights that unfortunately many women are stripped of.
- Poutine: Fries, cheese and gravy. These three simple ingredients, though an unusual combination for some countries, has become the best thing known to mankind when combined together.
- Good Looking: Don’t mean to brag but have you seen us? We got the Canadian Rockies on the west and The Great Lakes to the east throw in a prairie sunrise and you got one good looking country. It doesn’t stop there either, if you dig a bit deeper you’ll find the badlands of Drumheller, the bright colours of Newfoundland, the rain and shine of Vancouver and some of the most beautiful cities you’ll ever see. Hollywood must have noticed our looks seeing how big time movies such as “Titanic”, “Twilight”, “Blades of Glory” and “The Incredible Hulk” were filmed in Canada.
- We Can Travel In Ease: All we have to do is show the Canadian flag on basically everything and anything we take on vacation with us and let it work its magic. Canada is one of the most loved countries in the world. Being as apologetic and kind hearted as we are people love to see Canadians touring their loved country. Oh but don’t worry America, we’ll send you a post card from Cuba.
- I’m Sorry: These come flying in from every direction. Canadians are known for always being sorry. We apologize for almost everything and anything but isn’t that better than not receiving one at all?
There are many things that make Canada a great place to live and all though the list may not seem like much, I would still choose Canada over and over again as my favorite place to be because I couldn’t imagine not living in Canada, the greatest country in the world!
-Jordan Miss Teenage North West Saskatchewan